Hotel Thissio is situated in a prime location, in the most picturesque part of central Athens. Visitors of Athens city who wish to gaze upon its most iconic landmark during their stay, could not have asked for a hotel with a better location.
Located right on the pedestrian street that surrounds the Acropolis and its peripheral park, Hotel Thissio offers incredible landmark views, day and night.
Hotel Thissio is the ideal place to stay in order to experience the most vibrant and colourful side of Athens. The majority of sites are easily accessible within walking distance within less 10 minutes in many cases.
Things to see and do near Hotel Thissio:
Athens in one of those cities that can be easily be discovered by foot. If you like to walk, Athens is the ideal destination. A combination of factors make it such a great city to explore by walking: the weather, its structure and, of course, its sites. Here is a list of things to see and do near our hotel.
- Acropolis - The imposing ancient rock around which the city of Athens is built.The site entrance is less than a 10 minute walk away.
- Parthenon - Acropolis’ most iconic temple, is perhaps the most photographed site in Athens.
- Temple of Athena Nike - Located on the Acropolis too, it is one of the earliest Ionic temples.
- Odeon of Herodes Atticus - Situated just at the foot of the Acropolis, it is in use still today, frequently hosting concerts and various performances.
- Ancient Agora - Athens’ best known agora, it is extremely interesting to visit this excavation site and the Stoa of Attalos therein.
- Temple of Hephaestus - Also part of the Ancient Agora, the Temple of Hephaestus is the most prominent of this group of ancient ruins.
- Roman Agora - Located in Plaka, just off Monastiraki Square, the Roman Agora has an impressive gate that is unmissable.
- Adrianou Street - Leading up to Monastiraki Square, from Thissio to Plaka and along the Agoras, Adrianou Street provides a scenic walk.
- Monastiraki Square - one of Athens’ most colourful squares it is buzzing with people both day and night since it is filled with shops and stores, eateries and cafe/bars.
- Monastiraki Flea Market - Beginning from Monastiraki Square and going down towards Thissio, this is a favourite pedestrian street among locals and visitors alike, brimming with quaint, little shops.
- Ermou Street - Athens’ high street shopping spot. Here you will find a plethora of known fashion brands.
- Acropolis Museum - The state-of-the-art Acropolis Museum is simply unmissable and can be accessed within 10 minutes by foot. Allow at least 2 hours to browse through all the displayed artefacts.
- Tzistarakis Mosque - Located on Monastiraki Square, in the same photographic frame as the Acropolis from across the street. It is used as an annex to the Museum Greek Folk Art.
- Philopappos Hill - Situated opposite the Acropolis and almost adjacent to Hotel Thissio, Philoppapos Hill is a wonderful spot to explore, a verdant hill with some amazing city views.
- National Theatre of Greece - Guests can watch highly acclaimed performances throughout the year.
- National Observatory of Athens - A research institute that is also open to the public. The Visitor Centre of Thissio is literally right next to Hotel Thissio.
- Syntagma Constitution Square - The Greek Parliament with its Evzones and their change of guard, is located at the top of Ermou Street.
- Thissio Metro station - Located only 300m away from Hotel Thissio.
- Acropolis Metro station - Can be reached at a distance of 1.3 kilometres from Hotel Thissio.